Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Thur-Tee

This past weekend, I entered the next 3rd of my life. Yes, I am now 30 years old. Then I promptly got sick. The weather has been beautiful and we got some new snow, but I haven't been able to get out for a ski and enjoy it. But the days are getting longer, and soon enough I'll be out biking on singletrack on mountains blanketed in green. The trail network right out my front door is one of the reasons why I love living in Whitehorse.

This is the view from the top of Grey Mountain, where I do most of my mountain biking. An access road can be seen on the very right hand side of the photo which leads to our community of Riverdale. The grey-brown bluffs above the road are where downtown starts. In the valley are the Hidden Lakes, Chadburn Lake, and the Yukon River. At the very left hand side of the photo, you can see the ski runs on Mount Sima. The brown patches just left and right of center are the gravel pits and the old copper mine.

This is a shot further to the right from the above photo and shows almost all of Whitehorse (the population is only 24,000). The Yukon River flows left to right through the city, and downtown is set right on the river. The airport is on the terrace at the top of the bluffs at the left hand side of the picture. Jenny and I live in Riverdale -- the area in the lower left hand corner. The access road from the first photo can be seen starting at the brown bluff near the bottom of the photo.

And this is my impersonation of an Inukshuk on top of Grey Mountain. Temperatures hovered around zero for much of last week, and I even saw a guy walking around town in shorts. I am not quite that hardcore, and will wait until it is at least 7 or 8 degrees before I wear my shorts outside.

1 comment:

Tom said...

a belated happy thur-tee to you!

i am enjoying this segment, much more chilled out than the 20s. i turned 34 two weeks ago. i am now aging at less than 3% of my relative life each year.

you live in a spectacular place. i don't really understand why we must all crowd in places like vancouver when canada has so much room.