Monday, March 3, 2008

I also got a pet Otter...

Seeing as how Jenny and I are renovating and personalizing our condo, she wanted to get me some nice art as a b-day gift. On the day of my birth, we checked out the work of the local artisans, and I chose this Natalie Parenteau print, "Sea Otter and Volcano" from the "North End Gallery" in Whitehorse. Natalie is a popular Yukon artist and her works are ubiquitous in these parts. This is piece I had never seen before, and it caught my eye right away -- the layering and reflections of the mountains and water to give it depth, the volcano spewing ash across the sky as the Earth recycles its old skin, and that ash leading your eye to the crescent moon and stars that are just about to be swallowed up by the day coming on the horizon,
and all of this being enjoyed by the sea otter, kicking back in the ocean, just watching the magic of the world. Who wouldn't want to be that otter?