Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Powderface Ridge

Quite a few of my friends who I've known for 10+ years have gotten married over the past year or so. That necessitated going through stacks of old photos to find incriminating evidence for wedding slide shows. Although not incriminating, this picture is probably 12 years old, was taken with a really crappy point-and-shoot film camera, and is still one my favourite photos. It epitomizes my summers during the early years of university when whoever was free on a particular weekend would pack camping and biking gear into a vehicle and head out to Jasper or Kananaskis. This particular photo was taken along the Powderface Ridge trail in Kananaskis, and was one of the first times I remember playing photographer and setting up a shot that I thought would look really good. I remember thinking the light was stellar, and had Jasen pose on a knoll just off the trail, with the valley and the Rocky Mountains in the distance. I had only been mountain biking for 3 or 4 years at this point and I learned a lot about photography by looking at photos in mountain bike magazines. Even looking back on it now, I think it is a stellar photo, and wonder how much better it would have looked if I had used a nicer camera. I didn't even have the pleasure of seeing the photo immediately on the screen of a digital camera.

No comments: